Monday, March 20, 2017

Crescent Moon 3Z

Inspired by Rick and Maria's kitchen table tangles videos (available on the Zentangle® Mosaic app) and my new set of Sakura PNs I decided to tangle on a pre strung 3Z I had thanks to a friend of mine (thanks Deana!)

I got the set of 8 PNs that I found on Amazon.  I believe they have the same ink as the microns.  According to the package, they have a "Durable, flexible nib for fine to medium line widths.  Archival ink is water proof, chemical and fade resistant, bleed free, quick drying and ph neutral."  The package says .45 mm. I found the list of colors when I went to the web site....black, red, blue/black (I love this one), blue, rose, burgundy (I thought it was brown, but nope, burgundy! Very nice!), purple and sepia (which is actually a very dark brown).  The web-site also clarifies that you can obtain  fine or medium line width depending on your personal writing pressure (0.4mm - 0.5mm). This equates roughly to the 05 Pigma micron which is listed as being 0.45mm.

As you can tell from my 3Z of Crescent moon, you can get a very fine line with a light touch.  Each side of the triangle is approximately 3.5 inches long.

I used the rose, and both blue and blue/black.  In comparison, I also used a graphite (that's the color) Graphik 0.1 line maker by Derwent.  It is a lightfast pigment ink and I love that the color mimics pencil but you don't worry about smudging.  To compare line widths, check out the gray in the center of each corner (I used the PN in blue/black and Graphik in graphite in all three corners.  Instead of graphite pencil shading, I opted for Polychromos colored pencils.  

And in case you missed my post about those magnolias, they were created with watercolor pencils and a stamp set from Altenew.  You can find my post here.

3 comments:

  1. Bottom line, do you like the pens as well as Microns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will depend on the application...I like the PNs better for writing. You don't need to hold them as upright as the microns. I believe it to be the same ink as the microns and I love that idea for journaling and drawing either on the go or in my bullet journal. As for drawing on a regular or small tile I believe my preference would be the micron because of the smaller tip, and I tend to be slower (read calmer) with the micron. However if I want to use a color in the PNs that I don't have in the microns, or if I was working on a larger item (like an opus or even something say 6"x6" ) I think there would be absolutely no drawback to the PN. Those instances I'd have no hesitation in using the PN. Hope that helps! Time will tell what I gravitate towards.

      Delete

    2. thanks.......that is exactly what I wondered about!

      Delete