Friday, May 30, 2014
Be sure to check back next week as I will have a very special card completed that combines Zentangle® and rubber stamping!
Friday, May 23, 2014
Sometimes it's all about the recipient. I don't tend to make many cards in advance. An event comes up and I make a card to meet the occasion, hopefully matching what the recipient would like. Maybe a color, a theme, something to make it theirs. This time for my 9 year old granddaughter who is into reading the Warrior Cats series. Cats...check. Interactive...check. Book-like...check. Tactile...check. A little bling, strike that, a lot of bling...check!
Sizzix dies used: Accordion Flip 3-D and Frame & Label Bracket designed by Karen Burniston. All stamp images by Inkadinkado (Happy Birthday and Gem Stone Cats). I used Momento, Distress and Adirondack inks.
Happy Birthday kiddo!!!
Saturday, May 17, 2014
Friday, May 16, 2014
I'm beginning to believe that the secret to a good "simple" card is to make it look simple. In truth, it's very difficult, for me at least, to get the design, color, image and placement, all to come out well on one layer. There's not much you can hide!
Sunday, May 11, 2014
Friday, May 9, 2014
For me, what helped the most to turn the scraps into art is having a template "frame" so that I can see exactly where the ATC would look best from the scrap piece and then cut. Sometimes some additional drawing, stamping, or inking etc was needed to complete the card. Other times nothing else was needed.
"Photo Pen Cup". The ATCs fit perfectly around the sides. There's not quite enough room inside for me to completely fill the space, but I can stack several diagonally. Still looking for the photo cube.
The Diva Challenge this week, I'm not quite sure if it's a new tangle or a variation of Tink. But be sure to check out the other examples!
Saturday, May 3, 2014
Friday, May 2, 2014
Of course, I needed to try it right away. The video warns you need good quality heavy craft cardstock. I had some craft card, but not very heavy, I'd guess about 50#. It's color was also a little on the light side, but hey, gotta try it right? I should have ordered some from Crafters Companion right then and there. After all, I still had to find the glycerin, but I thought that would be easy to get at the local grocery or pharmacy. Turns out I tried 5 different places before I found the glycerin at Bi-mart (a local, quirky, variety store). I tried a few different sized embossing folders and likewise a few different sized journals. I used Darice scroll flourish corner, Cuttlebug stylized flowers and preserves - pears, and Sizzix pear and birds. In addition to Ranger Distress inks and Adirondacks, I also used a Copic air brush to add some more color. I tried some sealer with glitter in it and surprisingly liked the effect, so I also tried some Lumin Arte shimmering mist before a regular gloss sealer. I was really liking the look, but I still had the issue of the paper being fairly lightweight. Even though you glue cotton to it for the inside cover, I didn't think it would be strong enough. My husband suggested Tyvek, but that brought up another issue of adhesive. After some research online, I went with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I ended up with a 3 layer cover, Tyvek sandwiched in between the faux leather cardstock and the cotton fabric.
Sheena's YouTube for that as well, however after 2 books I realized I preferred the knots to be inside and not outside, so I simply started my needle through the inside of the signature vs from the outside of the cover. When you watch the video it will make sense. I made four journals and still have two covers left to add signatures. I found some great YouTube book binding videos from Sea Lemon. I'm gonna have to try them out. No telling where that will lead me. Oh, and next time, I'm going with the better quality, heavier card from Crafters Companion. I'm ordering some today. Not to worry about the other light weight craft card I already have, I used some of it for the signature pages and it looked great.